SharePoint February 2013 CU (+COD) breaks the RSS Viewer Webpart

So I ran into a fun little problem a few days after patching our environment with the February 2013 CU + Critical “On-Demand” Update. Much like Microsoft we rushed to get the COD installed in our environment right away because we had a few highly visible sites experiencing the navigation node issue introduced back with the August 2012 CU. In true Microsoft fashion, I ran into a nugget where the latest patch broke some legacy functionality.

This time around the poor RSS Viewer Webpart died a strange an horrible death for non-anonymous sites. Just so we’re all playing with the same equipment.. We’re running Claims, Kerberos, and good ol’ fashioned 2010 Enterprise bits. When I say it breaks for non-anonymous sites, I really mean that when the webpart is on a page that is not set for anonymous it will not render the RSS feed. I’m not saying that it breaks for authenticated RSS feeds as inaccurately described during the Todd Klindt netcast, but rather when it’s placed on a non-anonymous site/site collection.

Luckily my man Srinivas from the Microsoft Product Team was very aware of this latest bug. He was able to provide us with a fix which I’d like to share with you the Internet..

Add this goodness to a CEWP on your page.. (Hide the titlebar unless you set it to Todd Klindt rocks)

function CustomUpdateFormDigest()
{
if(window._spPageContextInfo != null)
{
var $v_2 = window._spPageContextInfo;
var $v_3 = $v_2.webServerRelativeUrl;
var $v_4 = window._spFormDigestRefreshInterval;
UpdateFormDigest($v_3, $v_4);
}
}
CustomUpdateFormDigest();

As Todd Klindt always says.. Only patch if you absolutely need to and only hit up Production after some pretty rigorous testing..

Advertisements